How was your weekend?
Okay so I know there was no post on Sunday but that was because instead of staying at home and working on a blog post, I decided to go and see Moana instead (which was amazing, it is such a beautiful movie although it has a lot of mythology in it, some of you might not be interested in that, but I thought it was a bautiful movie.)
I decided it has been a long while since I did GGOG (Gospel Girltalk….or Guy) and so here we are, today we are going to be talking about trials.
What even are trials?
Trials are basically tests of faith from God to us, it’s when things don’t go exactly the way we want them to and we have to lean on God and put our trust and faith in God to do what’s best for us.
What is the difference between trials and temptations?
Trials are from God, temptations are from the devil. God would never tempt his children to sin. In James 1:13**, it says “When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;”. It even goes on to say “But each person is tempted when they are dragged way by their own evil desire and enticed”. Temptations come from your own evil desires, but today’s focus is not temptations but trials.
Why does God give us trials?
In James 1:2-4, it says “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”
Sometimes God puts us through trials to teach us something that will in turn make us ready and mature for something else greater in the future.
Sometimes God puts us through trials just to test us. Being in a relationship with God, you learn a lot, you also learn a lot through reading the bible, when you are facing a trial, all your knowledge, all that you have been taught gets put to the test, literally. You keep on reading about having faith in the bible and you’re like YES! YES! YES! I CAN MOST DEFINITELY DO THAT, THAT IS EASY! but then when you’re facing a trial and you literally need to put your faith in God, that’s when you know if you actually can do it and if you have actually learnt how to put your faith in God.
We also face trials so that God can show us that we cannot do on our own. Sometimes, as humans, we can get quite cocky and believe completely in our own abilities as well as take credit for every good thing that has happened to us but when we face trials, we have no choice but to depend on God and that’s when you realize that you really cannot live life on your own and that you NEED God.
Sometimes we go through trials to help other people, our stories after a trial can be so encouraging and so motivational that it can help someone in as similar situation. After being in a similar situation yourself, you are in a position to give real advice that you know can benefit that other person’s life. Just the fact that you made it through the situation can give another person so much encouragement, it shows them that they can get through their situation as well.
So I am facing trials right now, and it is so hard, what do I do, how can I carry on, it feels like God isn’t listening.
Oh trust me sweetheart, God is listening and I know it is hard but just know that God is going to bless you double of what you are even asking for right now or he is going to give you even better than you ask for. It isn’t that he is not listening, he is just waiting for the perfect time. Say you wanted to defrost something in the freezer, you don’t place it in the microwave for one minute and expect it to be defrosted, neither do you put a seed in soil, water it and expect it to have grown fully overnight. No, you have to leave whatever it is you are defrosting in the microwave for a certain amount of time in order for it to completely defrost, just like you have to give the plant time to grow. You cannot expect yourself to gain all the experience and growth and maturity that you need to gain all of a sudden, you have to face the trials as they come and know that the second it is time for it to be over, God will take all the pain and stress away and leave you with joy, laughter, blessings and happiness.
How do you carry on?
- 2 Thessalonians 2:15 says “So, friends, take a firm stand, feet on the ground and head high. Keep a tight grip on what you were taught” and that’s just what you do.
- Continue to exercise your faith (“exercise daily in God- no spiritual flabbiness, please! Workouts in the gymnasium are useful but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit today and forever” 1 Timothy 4: 6-9 The Message version)
- Whenever you are afraid remember that Isaiah 41:10 says “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
- Have somebody, another christian, maybe older, act as someone who can encourage you. For me that is my mom, whenever I am facing something, I know I can go to my mom for encouragement
- Pray, pray because your life depends on it. Talk to Jesus, he understands. He grew up as a man like us, he understands all our emotions (except for sin) so whenever you are feeling sad, or disappointed or let-down or just anything at all, know that you can talk to Jesus because he has been there like you, he has felt it like you and he completely understands.
- Continue to hound him for whatever it is you’re praying for (make sure he does not rest from hearing it *laughing emoji*)
- Listen to encouraging gospel songs, I recommend Sovereign God by Maurette Brown Clark and He’s Able by MusiqCityWalls.
- You can also contact me, my links are on the right hand corner.
Just know that whatever you are facing, God would not put you through it if he did not believe that you can face it. Ask him for strength, lean on him, he is your God, your father, your best friend, your creator, and he loves you with all his heart, he is doing this all for your betterment and you can do it, you can get through this storm.
So keep on going, you’re almost there.
** (disclaimer, I did not know these verses by memory, I just remembered reading it in the bible so I googled it to know exactly what it said and most of them I have screenshotted on my phone, although I should know how to quote the bible by memory)
(All the bible verses are in NIV, the New Internation Version, except one which is in the Message version, I have indicated above)
Have a blessed week,
lots of love,